Toronto Concert Choir
The Birth of The Toronto Concert Choir
As the successor to the Oakham House Choir at Ryerson University, the Toronto Concert Choir was created during pandemic when we couldn’t meet and sing in person. However, with the help of technology, we have been able to perform several 4-part choral music from various historical eras. With virtual recording and instrumentation, we put the past and present together and bring hope for the future.
Continuing the 35 years’ tradition of the Oakham House Choir, the Toronto Concert Choir welcomes singers of all levels of ability and inspire them to strive for excellence. We want our performances to be exciting, expressive, captivating and lively.
Our future concerts will continue to feature works composed mostly for orchestra, soloists and choir; great choral masterpieces from previous centuries, as well as recent works rooted in traditional choral style. However, we intend to expand our repertoire by exploring contemporary music inspired by a variety of cultures and traditions.
At present, the Toronto Concert Choir is made up of members of the Oakham House Choir, their friends and other music lovers; but we hope to expand our existing 100+ membership to a bigger, better and more inclusive group. We are also working to a formal relationship with Ryerson University.
…Our Artistic Team
- Matthew Jaskiewicz, music director of Oakham House Choir since the beginning, is the founding music director and conductor of the Toronto Concert Choir
- Alexander (Sasha) Kats, an accomplished concert pianist and teacher will be our rehearsal accompanist
- Soprano, Allison Cecilia Arends, successful soloist and experienced performer with a beautiful voice, will be choir vocal instructor.
…. Plans for the Near Future
While we are waiting for facilities to re-open, we meet and practise on Zoom every week:
When we are back to normal:
- Our weekly choir practices will be held on the Ryerson campus where possible
- The choir’s first major concert will take place at Knox Presbyterian Church.
- The Toronto Sinfonietta, professional chamber orchestra, will accompany the choir at major concerts.
- All current members of Oakham House Choir will be members of the new choir if they wish to join
- We will be welcoming Ryerson students, alumni, faculty and staff, as well as members of the larger Toronto community.
… Keep in Touch for New Developments
More information about future concerts, openings for new members, membership fees, repertoire, and time and place of rehearsals will be available on our website in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, please join us on Zoom or contact us through the Contact Page. To get in touch with the music director, please email him at email@example.com